The journey of self-discovery begins with a couple's company, and a couple of beers.

It was our night out. He picked me up and we headed to our then favourite chillout place, Cloth & Clef (only because they had RM10 beers and played Drum n Bass). Good music and beers somehow bring out unwarranted amounts of honesty and strange conversation. So, amongst talk of love, work, haircuts, and hot bartenders, we talked about design. It started with us commenting on Cloth & Clef's very white, very artsy menu and it moved from there to tattoo designs. I'd always had a rough idea of what I'd want my tattoo to look like and where I'd place it. He asked me to put my idea down on paper. "Draw?" I asked with eyes so horrified and cheeks so flushed. Oklar. I'm always up for a challenge.

He dug through his wallet for a blank piece of paper while I dug through my bag for a pen. On an old crumpled receipt, I translated my grand ideas into physical matter. I always knew I wasn't great at drawing but when I saw what I produced that day, I was ashamed that people would then know too.

After an extended period of manic laughter, he managed to compose himself and began to transcribe my drawing into art.
Ai Leen's rendition of a sakura with "swirly things".

His attempt to save a bad drawing of a sakura with "swirly things".


To add insult to injury, I took private art lessons for a whole year when I was 13. Some people just aren't born with it.
1 Response
  1. Anonymous Says:

    hahahaha "art lessons"