So what the heck is a date?

Lately my friends and I have been facing similar predicaments. We've all had our fair share of committed relationships, we've all had our hearts broken some time or other and now we're all somewhat skeptical of the whole process. The solution? Dating.

You see someone you're attracted to, that someone is attracted to you too. You both seem interesting enough to each other and so you go on a date. A friend asked me a few days ago, "What do people do on dates?" I had a very tough time answering (Hey, you can't blame us for being complete idiots when it comes to dating. We've only ever known 'relationships' all our life. Dating is new territory.)... I said something along the lines of, "Going out so you get to know the person better, the person buys you dinner and movies, you hold hands, sometimes he kisses you on the cheek"... You have no idea how lame I felt giving my friend that answer. Is that all there is to a date? Sounds like a day out with mom.

It got me thinking that maybe by dating you are obligated to offer more. Since you're physically attracted to each other then that's what dating is. Just another term that allows for physical benefits without the need for longterm commitment. Then how is that different from several one night stands with the same person? You both will end up walking your separate ways when you're done. If that is it then I'm not a fan of this whole dating thing.

I'm thinking, maybe by definition (I like definitions) dating is just what it is. Keeping a date is to follow through an agreed upon appointment. And dating is to have subsequent continuous agreed upon appointments with the person. You're committed to seeing the person until one party decides they've either had enough or would like to have more.

So I do realize that I've completely de-romanticized the whole notion of dating but I guess romantic agendas come without having to be said. And don't you just hate it when people end their posts without any conclusions?
3 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    hey,

    i blog hopped my way here and i liked this post! was wondering if you've given the book I Kissed Dating Goodbye or Boy Meets Girl (both by Joshua Harris) a read? they're very inspiring books :)


  2. Aileen Lim Says:

    lauleen: Hey, thanks for dropping by =) Haha Joshua Harris' name seems to be coming up quite frequently. No, I haven't read his books. If you don't mind enlightening me, what's his take on dating?


  3. Sarah Says:

    hey babes, i agree pretty much with what you've said there. hehe :)